If you are headed to Surtex, in New York, from 21 to 23 of May, my lovely agency’s Art Licensing Department will be there with lots of new and exciting work from me and fellow artists. Stop by BOOTH #2933 to take a look and say hello!!
Art Directors feel free to make an appointment and also follow along through twitter: @sofiagcardosoo | @BrightLicensing.
Wishing everyone a happy and lovely new year – may it be full of happiness and creativity!
Thank you for following my adventures throughout 2016 and I hope to see you again next year.
I wish you all a wonderful holiday season, a sweet and magical Christmas and all the best for the new year. Happy Holidays, everyone!
A little roundup of bits and bobs I’ve been up to recently:
– after signing up with my Agency, I’ve been working on some really fun book projects that I can’t wait to share with you. One of them is Christmas themed and I’m currently working on the finals – candy canes, snow, decorations, treats for Santa and a big chunky turkey are all in it!
– I’ve been enjoying illustrating and creating different children’s characters wearing some funky and fun outfits and I’m really happy with all the lovely comments I’ve been getting on them. If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram you’ve probably seen some of them. My sketchbook is full of them lining up to get colored so, expect more in the future.
– some new birthday card designs are coming soon and I also have NEW work available for licensing.
Happy Friday, everyone!
Last week for #NationalPumpkinDay I shared this illustration I made inspired by my Grandma’s desserts – her pumpkin treats are a THE best! “Papas de Abóbora” is a portuguese dessert that goes back to my father childhood years and although there’s not much historic background on them, from what I could found, it is a traditional dish that goes way back to when villagers had to leave town to work and would bring this ‘papas’ with salted sardines. Long story short, if you like pumpkin YOU NEED to try this!
This recipe can be made two ways: with cornflour (traditional) or with wheat flour. Personally I prefer the second one because once it cools down, it gets a thin coat on top, almost like a cream brulee, but without being burnt. I asked my Grandma for her recipe, but she told me she just does what feels right, so she doesn’t have exact measurements – I’ll try my best to share it with you guys.
Papas de Abóbora
– 500g of pumpkin (we usually use “abóbora menina”)
– water or milk q.b.
– lemon skin (make sure the white part is not on the peel, just the yellow)
– cornflour or wheat flour (around 2/3 tbsp)
– sugar (to taste)
– cinnamon (to decorate, you can skip this step)
– secret weapon: wooden spoon
Cut the pumpkin into bite size pieces, wash it and drain. Place the pumpkin + lemon skin in a pan and pour just enough milk/water to reach half the pieces – in the end you will need to still have liquid in the pan to scoop 1/2 cup aside and to blend the rest with the pumpkin. Boil and cook until soft.
Once it’s cooked, scoop out 1/2 cup of the liquid you choose and set aside. Away from the stove, with either a fork or a magic wand (this option makes the end result smoother), smash/process the pumpkin with the remaining liquid. (more…)
My Sweet ABC (illustrated alphabet) is now available as canvas wall murals on Oopsy Daisy, in both vertical and horizontal options – take a peek!
Sing the ABC’s with your little one and make learning the alphabet fun with our educational wall art by Sofia Cardoso. This canvas wall hanging is printed with the same high quality standard as our stretched canvas art, but instead of stretching the art over a wooden frame, we place grommets in the four corners. The included color-coordinated decorative covers should fit easily over the screw or nail you choose and make your canvas wall mural hang beautifully. It can be wiped clean with a soft, dry or slightly damp cloth and should it wrinkle, the backside may be ironed on a low setting with light steam. – Oopsy Daisy
Meanwhile, stay tuned for this month’s newsletter – lots of exciting news and updates!